Help us make a difference! Martin County has adopted a single-use plastic reduction strategy and you can help by shopping local vendors that support sustainability practices and incorporating reduction strategies into your everyday routine. Learn more about these efforts on our advocacy page protectourparadise.com. While on vacation, you can help protect natural resources for future generations to enjoy.
Here are some tips for enjoying our area responsibly:
- Stay off the dunes and use beach walkovers and boardwalks.
- Do not walk on the reef, this is critical especially for the health of Bath Tub Reef Beach.
- Don’t disturb sea turtles or their nests; remember, it’s a federal crime.
- Skip the Straw
- Recycle when possible and use reusable grocery bags.
- Remove all trash including toys, chairs, tents, coolers and blankets by sunset each day.
- Stay Green- The Florida Green Lodging Program
- Here in Martin County, the Hutchinson Shores Resort & Spa was just designated as a 3 Palm property. There are only 18 hotels with the three Palm Designation in the Southeast region that includes Broward, Martin, Miami-Dade, Okeechobee, Palm Beach and St. Lucie counties. Additionally, the Hutchinson Island Marriott Beach Resort & Marina has been designated as a 2 Palm property for numerous years.
- Incorporate “voluntourism” into your upcoming vacation. Visit protectourparadise.com to get learn about current opportunities.
The South Florida Reef Ambassador Initiative -- Become a Coral Champion!
The South Florida coastline from Martin County through Monroe County is home to the only living coral barrier reef in the continental United States and is the world’s third largest coral reef system measuring at 105 miles. Though a majority of the current reef system is vibrantly healthy, we are aware of the stress Florida’s coral reefs are facing. Locally, the Florida counties of Monroe, Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Martin have banded together to create a “Coral Reef Ambassador” initiative,which provides actions individuals can take to safeguard our precious resource. Stand with Martin County as we work to #ProtectOurParadise. Learn more about our efforts here.